• ravenruis

Natural Dye Experiment - beetroot

Updated: Apr 26, 2020

I've never liked the taste of beetroot, so if I can find a good alternative use for it then I'll be happy.

An experiment I've wanted to try for a while, and finally got 'a round tuit', was because I've been curious as to whether it would make any difference if the beetroot root was in direct contact with the wool, rather than just using a dye extraction from the juice.

So I sliced up a beetroot and lasagned it with a small skein of pre-soaked wool, into a jar, then added 100 mls of near-boiled water with 1 tablespoon of white vinegar.

I added a tinfoil cap and set it to solar dye. I'd suspected I'd need to add more water, and when I checked on it, it really did need topping up; which I did, and now there is a lot of beetroot juice in the jar too. Whether this will affect the efficacy of the beetroot slices only time will tell.

Watch this space for the results ...

Less than a week later I noticed the beetroot slices had become quite washed out so deemed it time to end the experiment and check on the yarn.

While my photos really don't do it justice, I was delighted with the rich, dark colour I pulled out of the jar. After the first rinse, there was little to no bleeding.

I was even more surprised to find such shading within the skein. This is a close-up.

I have no idea at this stage how fade-resistant it will actually be, but I'd love to dye a larger skein to knit up.

7 views0 comments

©2019 by Tangwystl Cottage. Proudly created with Wix.com